Celebrating New York City Image 6

Carnegie Hall is a concert venue in Midtown Manhattan in New York City. It is located on Seventh Avenue two blocks south of Central Park. It was designed by William Burnet Tuthill and built by philanthropist Andrew Carnegie in 1891. It is one of the most prestigious venues in the world for both classical music and popular music. Carnegie Hall presents about 250 performances each season. The hall has not had a resident company since 1962, when the New York Philharmonic moved to Lincoln Center.


I took the photo for this pen-and-ink drawing, "Carnegie Hall," on my very first trip to New York City in 1992. The sun was shining so brightly, the building was glowing. This was another instance of knowing I had to draw it. Those deep, dark shadows in the arches above the marquee just drew me right in. It would be 12 years before I drew it--after 9/11. So I really liked the fact that the American flag was right there in the middle.

No comments: